For no-fuss Pre-Assessment Validation, simply load your assessment tool (marking guide and mapping document) and let our qualified VET experts analyse the materials to:
- Confirm alignment to the unit of competency evidence requirements
- Confirm sufficiency of valid evidence being sought by the instruments
- Identify any gaps and issues
- Provide results of the exercise as a summary report and point out high-level recommendations to address any identified issues
Our team are VET experts with current knowledge and skills in competency-based training and assessment, vocational learning, and the Australian VET sector. They are highly experienced in all areas of assessment tool development and validation
What is this service for?
Perfect for pre-assessment validation (also known as pre-use or pre-implementation validation), assessment review and/or as part of proactive internal audit, this service allows you to load your materials, go about your business and be ready for when the analysis and report is complete and sent back to you.
Our expert validators will check:
- The mapping document is accurate and reliable as evidence of how the assessment tool meets compliance and training package requirements
- All requirements of the unit are covered. This means, all elements, all performance criteria, all performance evidence and all knowledge evidence requirements, all Foundation Skills, and all assessment condition requirements are covered by the assessment instruments. In short - we'll check that everything that should be included is, and nothing that should not be, is not
- Whether the assessment instruments will collect sufficient, valid evidence for competency judgements to be made
- A validated mapping document back, marked up with comments - where any gaps/issues are and what the issues are
- A short report with high-level recommendations for the assessment writer on how to address any identified issues and gaps
How do I use the service?
✅ Know which unit/s of competency you want to ensure your assessment tools cover
✅ Use the Size Calculator to determine the size of the unit against which your assessment tool must be validated
✅ Purchase the validation service for that size unit
✅ Load your materials to send through. We'll need marking guide and mapping in Word / Excel format (no PDFs). Full instructions are supplied after purchase
✅ Go about your business - we'll let you know when the validation activity is complete and your reports are ready
⚠️ Assessment tools from the Training and Education (TAE) training package require additional expertise. Please contact us to enquire about getting your TAE materials validated
A small unit requires approx. 30 evidence points
$450 inc. GST
An average unit requires approx. 40 evidence points
$650 inc. GST
A large unit requires approx. 60 evidence points
$850 inc. GST
An extra large unit requires approx. 80 evidence points
$1485 inc. GST
Enquire about the cost for ordering validation for multiple units, validation for units larger than XL (more than 80 evidence points required), and/or for TAE units of competency
# of Elements
Approx. volume of evidence points required
Up to 3
Up to 3
*Note that XL may include any high-volume combination of:
- element count and performance evidence points
- e.g. 3 PE with 90 evidence points = XL unit
- e.g. 7 PE with 30 evidence points = XL unit
- e.g. 5 PE with 40 evidence points required to be repeated across multiple performance tasks = XL unit (as, for example, 2 instances x 40 pts = 80; 3 instances x 40pts =120)
- FSKLRG001 - Prepare to participate in a learning environment: 2 x elements; approx. 12+ evidence points = Small size unit
- BSBPEF502 - Develop and use emotional intelligence: 3 x elements; approx. 33+ evidence points = Average size unit
- MEM07008 - Perform grinding operations: 5 x elements; approx. 43+ evidence points = Large size unit
- CHCPAL003 - Deliver care services using a palliative approach: 6 x elements; approx. 64+ evidence points = Extra-large size unit
- SITHFAB021 - Provide responsible service of alcohol: 4 x elements; approx. 116+ evidence points = POA
What if I pick the wrong size for my unit?
As soon as you complete your purchase, we get notified. We'll confirm the correct unit size has been calculated and selected and if all is good, will allocate the work to one of our expert validators.
If there is a discrepancy between the actual unit size and the size selected, we'll be in touch and will issue an invoice for the difference. Once paid in full, we can commence the work
How long before I get my results back?
Depending on the current schedule and pre-existing bookings, the activity will be completed between 2 and 10 working days. If it looks like the analysis and report will take more than 10 working days, we'll be in touch
What does this Validation service cover?
This is a pre-assessment validation for assessment tools. As a validation of mapping activity, it reviews the instrument, benchmark and mapping. It is designed as the first step to confirming the assessment tools in use / to be used by the RTO will meet the unit of competency requirements
Products from the TAE Training Package require special attention, please contact us directly to book a validation service for these materials
For more information, see the 'Scope' section at the bottom of this page
This isn't PD - why is this service on Skills Education?
Although different parts of the team are involved, Skills Education and Validations: VET Assessment Validation Services are part of the same organisation.
Just like the easy, convenient approach to self-service orders for PD, you can now apply the same approach to order a validation of assessment activity
Scope of the Validation of Mapping Exercise
As a guide, typical validation of assessment mapping activity includes:
- The analysis of the assessment instruments to confirm valid, sufficient evidence would be collected by the tool
- Confirming the accuracy of data entered on the mapping document (which is used as evidence of coverage)
- Marking up the mapping document with results of the analysis
Load and Go currently offers validation of mapping
As a guide, typical validation of assessment tool activity includes:
- A validation of mapping plus
- Reviewing the entire tool to assess its suitability for intended purpose
- Confirming accuracy of information that forms the basis of the assessment i.e. unit details, pre-requisites, assessment conditions etc.
- Commenting on the clarity of instructions to users (learners and assessors)
- Confirming suitability of chosen assessment method for evidence required by the unit
- Confirming the assessment has been designed to allow for the provision of sufficient evidence that is valid, reliable, authentic, and current and will meet the requirements of the unit as well as satisfy the definition of competency per the Standards for RTOs 2015
- Reviewing fields within the tool to confirm documents allow for the recording of evidence of judgements and other compliance-related requirements
- Analyse benchmark responses to confirm they are providing accurate guidance for acceptable responses in terms of quantities required and/or deviations in evidence provided by the student
- Analysing the tool to make a judgment on the:
- Flow of assessment tasks – that they represent logical processes that are clearly defined
- Structure/format of template and its elements
- Where the qualification has been identified, analysing the assessment to make a judgement on whether it seeks evidence in a way consistent with expected outcomes of the relevant AQF level
- Documenting findings from the validation exercise, including suggestions for continuous improvement
Contact us on [email protected] if you'd like a validation of assessment tool.
Out of scope
- Reviewing the materials to make any judgment and/or give advice on the accuracy of benchmark answers provided
- Reviewing the TAS that covers the delivery and assessment methodology linked to the particular unit of competency for which the assessments will be used
- Reviewing other documents within the assessment system such as Student Handbook, various assessment-related policies and procedures (e.g. Complaints Policy, Appeals Policy etc.)
- Reviewing learning materials for accuracy, formatting, proofing purposes
- Mapping unmapped content
- Writing missing or other content
- Conducting confirmation of compliance round/s to determine whether any edits applied to materials by assessment writers in response to initial validation activity have met requirements
- Formatting and/or editing and/or specific proofing of materials
- Validating completed student samples